The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency is working with counties to assess damage from the severe weather on March 3, 2023.
One fatality is being reported in Yazoo County where a tree fell onto a vehicle. Statewide, there are reports of homes damaged, trees down, and power outages due to high winds. Currently, one injury has been reported in Oktibbeha County.
Initial damage assessments are underway. The following is PRELIMINARY and will change throughout the assessment process. These counties have reported some type of damage:
- Itawamba – 30 homes; Itawamba Community College reporting damage
- Monroe – 1 home; 1 apartment complex
- Oktibbeha- 3 homes
- Panola- 2 homes; 1 public building (Unoccupied building near the Sardis Community Nursing Home)
- Pontotoc- 2 homes
- Yazoo- 1 home
MEMA encourages residents with any damage to do the following:
- File an insurance claim.
- Take photos of the damage
- Report damage to county/MEMA via the self-report tool.