News

Trump administration approves public assistance for 18 Mississippi counties

The Trump administration has approved federal Public Assistance for 18 additional Mississippi counties affected by severe winter weather Jan. 23-27, a Facebook post announcing the action said. The approval brings the total number of counties eligible for Public Assistance Category A-G to 34.

The 18 counties added in the latest approval are Adams, Attala, Benton, Claiborne, Jefferson, Lafayette, Lee, Marshall, Panola, Pontotoc, Prentiss, Quitman, Tallahatchie, Tate, Tippah, Tishomingo, Union and Yalobusha.

Sixteen counties had previously received Public Assistance: Alcorn, Bolivar, Calhoun, Carroll, Grenada, Holmes, Humphreys, Issaquena, Leflore, Montgomery, Sharkey, Sunflower, Warren, Washington, Webster and Yazoo, along with the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians.

Public Assistance Category A-G provides grants to help municipalities and counties pay for debris removal, life-saving emergency protective measures and the restoration of public infrastructure. The Facebook post thanked President Donald J. Trump and his administration for approving the request and said Mississippi is grateful for the support. This is a developing story and will be updated as more details emerge.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *