The State Fire Marshal Office (SFMO) continues responding to the March 24 storms and tornadoes in the Mississippi Delta. Fire service teams have been in all damage areas making sure fire service needs are met. These teams are also medically trained.
Sadly, a structure burned in Rolling Fork Sunday morning due to a generator sitting on a wood porch. Fire and carbon monoxide safety are important after a storm.
- Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas at least 20 feet from all doors, windows, and vent openings.
- Never use a generator in a garage – even with the door open.
- Turn off generators and let them cool down before refueling. Never refuel a generator while it is hot.
- Install carbon monoxide (CO) alarms in your home. Fumes can be harmful or fatal. You cannot see or smell this gas.
SFMO regulates factory-built homes. Many mobile homes were damaged and, in the coming months, mobile homes will be replaced or repaired. County fire coordinators send lists of homes that need to be assessed for damage to the SFMO Factory Built Home division. If damaged, the mobile homes are inspected. They could be found to be totally destroyed or repairs could be recommended.
The SFMO Liquefied Compressed (LC) Gas division encourages safety following the storms. If you suspect your propane tank or gas lines may have been damaged, call 601-359-1064.
- Inspect your propane appliances for water or other damage, if it is safe to do so. If the appliances have electric components and have been exposed to water, they can create a fire hazard.
- Schedule a time for a qualified service technician to perform a complete inspection of your propane system if you suspect any of your propane appliances, equipment, vehicles have been under water or damaged, or you have turned off your gas supply.
- Never use or operate appliances, equipment, or vehicles, or turn on the gas supply, until your system has been inspected by a qualified service technician. Do not attempt repairs yourself.